Find in All Diagrams: help section
eaUtils Find in All Diagrams is an enhanced version of Enterprise Architect's matching feature i.e. it displays the list of diagrams that use the selected element with additional information:
- Modified and created date and time
- Locked status
- Parent package name
- Diagram full path
This feature has been added in eaUtils 1.15.
Find in All Diagrams (eaUtils enhanced version)
Sparx EA native feature
Enterprise Architect's Find in All Diagrams feature displays the diagrams that contain a selected element, or an instance of that element e.g. a class or an actor.
This feature can be run from a selected element:
- within a diagram via a right click, Find, Find in All Diagrams;
- or from or the project browser via a right click, Find in All Diagrams.
Example for a class that has been instanciated as a lifeline in a sequence diagram and used in three class diagrams:
- The keyboard shortcut Ctrl+U can be used to call this feature.
- If the element is used in a single diagram, this diagram is opened.
- If the element is not used in any diagram, the list is empty:
eaUtils enhanced version
Pending a future enhancement in Sparx built-in EA Find in all Diagrams, an enhanced version has been implemented in eaUtils add-in to display the package name where each diagram is located. This information can be essential when the diagram name is not enough to identify the model is belongs to.
The Find in All Diagrams is available via a right click on a element, Extensions > eaUtils > [Browser] Find in All Diagrams.
The screenshot below illustrates eaUtils Find in All Diagrams from a UML class.
The screenshot below illustrates eaUtils Find in All Diagrams from a UML class' instance.
- Usage Type
- Link is displayed when the element is found in the diagram (identical to EA built-in feature).
- Classifier is displayed when an instance of this element is found (identical to EA built-in feature).
- Instance is displayed when the 'classifier' of the selected 'instance' is found (introduced in eaUtils, this type is highlighted with a yellow background).
- Created Date, Modified Date: diagram created and modified date/time.
- Author: diagram author.
- Locked (true/false).
- Parent Package: name of the package that contains the diagram.
- Diagram Type and Name (identical to EA built-in feature).
- When a diagram is selected from the list, the diagram full path i.e. the names of all parent packages is displayed above.
- Up and down arrows can be used as an alternative to the mouse to change the selected diagram.
- A click on a column header changes the sorting order e.g. display diagrams by modified date.
- A double click on a diagram opens this window and selects the element. From EA 13 (build 1503 minimum), the diagram focus applies to the selected element.
- Click on CLOSE or press the Esc key to close the popup window.
- When a single diagram is found, it is displayed (identical to EA built-in feature).
- When no diagram is found, the following result is displayed.
This feature has been shared via a video available from UMLChannel blog Youtube channel.